Monday, July 2, 2018

Electronic Music of the 1990's and Early 2000's (Rave Style)

Electronic music has been around since the mid to late 70's in it's most popular form.  But something about the EDM scene in the 1990's and early 2000's is something special. I was a wee youngling so I wouldn't have experienced the full rave scene that went down in clubs and warehouses (minus the drugs, because I consider myself straight-edge 90 percent of the time)

The EDM scene had some breakthrough genres which I personally adore. This isn't a review per-se but more of a reminiscence of the genre and sub-genre.


  • Happy Hardcore- defined as more of an upbeat version of hardcore, also has trance-like vocals.
    • Prominent Artists: Dune, Scooter, Blumchen (Jasmin Wagner) 
  • Dream Trance- an early - mid 90s' subgenre of trance,  in which the theme to the X Files popularized the subgenre. 
    • Prominent Artists: Robert Miles, Faithless, DJ Dado 
  • Progressive House- a subgenre of house where artists experiment with sound.
    • Prominent Artists:  deadmau5, Avicii, David Guetta
  • Euro-Dance- was a general subgenre of EDM where the artists had a "rapper" and a singer duo, or with a mainstream vibe. 
    • Prominent Artists: Culture Beat, DJ Bobo, Ice Mc
  • Vocal Trance- is trance with focuses on vocals and melodies. 
    • Prominent Artists: Cosmic Gate, Tiësto, ATB, 4 Strings
  • Techno-is the foundation of most electronic music
    • Prominent Artists: Aphex Twin, Moby, Felix da Housecat
  • French House- house music that has been produced by predominately French artists.
    • Prominent Artists: Daft Punk, Bob Sinclar, Stardust



I've been looking back on how raves were back in the day. Maybe someone should suggest to Electric Daisy Carnival or Euro festivals to once in a while do a throwback where they play ATB, Dune, Lasgo, Wamdue Project, Tiesto,

For some reason, it's hard for me to get into the new EDM though I have soft spots for Skrillex, Deadmau5, Kaskade, Tiesto. But for me personally the nostalgic songs of the millennial generation seem to have a hold on me. I guess that's what nostalgia goggles are for music. 


Sounds that have been running through my mind: (Soundtrack to this scribble)

Lasgo- Something
Daft Punk- One More Time
Bob Sinclar/Fireball- What I Want

Credits:
https://youngpeopleandglobalization.wordpress.com/all-edm-subgenres/

(own edit)

No comments:

Post a Comment